Manor Cottage

Home to the Armitt sisters Mary Louisa,Anne Maria and Sophia. The family originated in Manchester.

Mary Louisa ( 1851-1911) polymath, teacher, writer, philanthropist  and ornithologist was the brightest of these three talented women who were all friendly with John Ruskin. The sisters moved to Rydal in 1894 and Mary wrote her ‘History of Rydal’ and also wrote ‘The Church at Grasmere’.

The Armitt Library was founded in Ambleside in 1912 at the bequest of Mary who wished to celebrate the intellectual activity of Ambleside and the original Armitt Library building was opened in Ambleside by Hardwick Rawnsley, co-founder of the National Trust.

The Church of St. Mary, Rydal