Rydal Mount

Originally a Statesman’s house known as Keens, was built in the late 16th century and re-modelled c.1750 by John Nott to give the principal rooms the spectacular view over Windermere. The eastern part of the house is the oldest, the west wing added in the 17th century with further alterations and additions in the mid 18th century.The house is notable for its association with Wordsworth who lived here - at a rent of £35 per annum - from 1813 until his death in 1850.

 Wordsworth never owned a house but in 1825  his tenancy of Rydal Mount was jeopardised when his landlady, Lady Anne Le Fleming attempted to replace the Wordsworth's  with a member of her own family. Wordsworth, threatened with eviction, purchased the Rashfield which stands below Rydal Mount and, employing an architect to draw up plans for a house, he threw down the gauntlet and retaliated by proposing to build a house that would block the view from Rydal Mount. 

It is not known if this caused Lady Anne to revise her plans or if the relative had a change of heart but for whatever reason the house was never built  and Wordsworth remained as tenant until his death in 1850.

On the death of his favourite daughter Dora in 1847 he utilised his purchase of the Rashfield and created a permanent memorial to her, planting the daffodils that still bloom each spring.

N.B. These are not the 'Daffodils' of the famous poem - the daffodils of the poem having been seen at Gowbarrow Park on the shores of Ullswater. 

Hart Head Farm