A Brief Timeline

4,000 - 2,000 B.C.
Signs of settlement by people  the Neolithic period.

2,000 -  800 B.C.
Evidence of Early Bronze Age settlement & farming.

Roman Occupation
The steps on Lanty Scar, overlooking the Under Loughrigg road, are said to be the remains of a Roman sentry look-out post. Rydal was on one of the principal routes North.

12th Century

Records of the Le Fleming family & their importance to Rydal can be traced back to this date & are possibly linked to the Norman conquest of 1066. Sir Thomas Le Fleming married Isabella de Lancaster whose family owned a large area of land in the Coniston area.
Rydal, part of these lands, was inherited through this line.

13th century
The creation of a medieval deer park had a marked effect on village developmentthe park being devoid of any settlement or building. The deer hunting being reflected in local place names
e.g The Hunter’s path, Hart Head, Little Hart Crag etc.

Records show a valley in a clearing.

The first appearance in a charter showing ‘Ridale’ with a guarded  “motte in the valley”. 

A dispute between William de Lyndseye and Roger de Lancaster, Lord of the Baronery of Kendal,
when de Lydseye’s stock encroached on de Lancaster’s deer park resulting in fencing a boundary
which was possibly an earth bank topped by wooden fencing the line of which survives on Nab Scar.
Parts of this have been dated to 1565 & 1581.

Early 15th century
Land grant to the Le Fleming family who become the Lords of the Manor of Rydal.

Records of an arson attack on a corn stack at a corn mill in Rydal.

16th Century

Rydal Old Hall which stood on Old Hall Hill was by this time in a poor state of repair.

The original New Hall (present Rydal Hall) buildings leased to the Le Flemings.

Records of the plague in Rydal.

17th Century
Birth of Sir Daniel Le Fleming (died 1701) the ‘family historian’
who established a school in buildings behind Rydal Hall.

Rydal stricken by a smallpox epidemic.

Daniel le Fleming & others responsible for putting ‘local ruffians’ up before the notorious Judge Jeffreys.

Execution of Charles I.

Low Park Barn (Rydal Farm) re-uses stone from the Old Hall to repair & renovate a large barn,
originally constructed in the thirteenth century.

Sir Daniel le Fleming establishes a village school in buildings behind the Hall.

1668 - 1669
Sir Daniel creates the Grotto at Rydal Hall pre-empting the Picturesque Movement by almost a century.

18th Century
The “New Road’ created which is now Rydal Hill.

The poet Thomas Gray passes through & comments on Rydal Hall.

1788 - 89
A new ‘modern’ front added to Rydal Hall.

19th Century
Foundation stone laid for Rydal Church.

Rydal Church opened on Christmas Day.

Rydal Church consecrated August 26th.

20th Century
Discovery of a Priest Hole at Rydal Hall.

Rydal Hall leased to the Diocese of Carlisle & opened as a retreat house.

Rydal Hall sold to Carlisle Diocese.

Changing Rydal